Three hours of all-original jazz, dub, reggaeton, house, and bass.
You probably don’t know Pablo Arranzgoiz but there’s a reasonable chance you’ve heard his music. Based in Miami, Florida, the prolific young Mexican artist has quietly been building his back catalog, displaying a variety of styles and genres as Baüzer Vep, DJ Fitness, Glue Boy, Decima Vittima, and Doctor Hotdog. And through this he has cultivated a small but dedicated cult following across Bandcamp and the United States—which is to say he’s come along way since he began playing drums at 11. He discovered electronic music through Benny Benassi, The Bloody Beetroots, Justice, and Daft Punk but it was the work of Ricardo Villalobos and Aphex Twin that really drew him in. Since then he’s gone through “many transformations, stupid opinions, crippling dogmas, and the never ending search for new techniques and fresh inspiration,” he tells XLR8R, though now there’s a sense he’s really finding his groove. For this week’s podcast, he’s recorded a mix that shines a light on his expansive catalog of music, much of which is forthcoming and some of which will never see the light of day beyond this podcast. What this translates to is three hours of jazz, dub, reggaeton, house, and bass that just keep on giving, giving, and giving.
01. What have you been up to recently?
Making music, watching films, yearning, laughing, and digging through archive.org.
02. What have you been listening to?
Perotin, Bach, Pierre Bastien, Pascal Comelade, Miles Davis, Sonny Rollins, Eduardo Zurita, Julián Mayorga, Ulla, Takako Minekawa, YL Hooi, CS+Kreme, Yasuaki Shimizu, Paul DeMarinis, Asmus Tietchens, Hematic Sunsets, and lots of old reggaeton in the car.
03. When and where did you record this mix?
The tracklistIing was carefully planned out. Then I used CDJs at a friend’s house with folders of all my aliases.
04. What setup did you use?
CDJ-900s and a Behringer DJ mixer.
05. Where do you imagine it being listened to?
Anywhere really. It goes through a lot of styles. But ideally in your house feeling curious and with plenty of spare time. It’s also really good while getting office stuff done! Or on a long drive. It’s also good for booting off with friends.
06. How does it compare to what we might hear you play out live?
I never play only my own material. I usually DJ as DJ Fitness and play a bit of all my favorite dance flavors.
07. What’s next on your horizon?
I have so many releases coming this year it’s unbecoming. There’s a Bauzer Vep album on Bruno Schmidt’s Assemblies of God, another Bauzer cassette on New Fair Deal, another Bauzer EP on Sports Records, and the debut release of DJ Fitness with a double album of pure dance music to DJ. I’ve also completed an album for Open Space Records that’s to be announced soon. Also, I have two El Gusano EPs locked in for 2023 coming on a new label that is gonna be hot! Aside from that, I’m working really hard on an electro-acoustic album which may or may not be done In the next few months.
XLR8R Subscribers can download the podcast below. If you’re not an XLR8R subscriber, you can read more about it and subscribe here.
01. Rental Snakes “Snake Whistle” (Unreleased)
02. Rental Snakes “Swamp Dwellers” (unreleased)
03. Rental Snakes “Mail Ghost” (Unreleased)
04. (╭ರ•́) “Aromageist” (Sonido Isla 2022)
05. El gusano, La momia, Águila Fugaz “blu blau ble ble” (Unreleased)
06. El Gusano “Activao”(Instrumental) feat. Strings by La Momia (Unreleased)
07. El Gusano, Bauzer Vep “Cumbia 666” (Self-Released)
08. El Gusano “Cumbia Cuatroveinte” (Unreleased)
09. El Gusano “Desvelao” feat. La Momia” (Self-Released)
10. “Drum Solo + Car Skrrrttt” (Unreleased)
11. “Muzak 1 Suspenso” (Unreleased)
12. El gusano, Nap “Dub_cumbia_cdmx_2” (Unreleased)
13. (╭ರ•́) “Sheeeeeeeeesh” (Sonido Isla 2022)
14. Bauzer Vep “Spaghetti” (Assemblies of God)
15. Mister hands, Bauzer Vep “Smelly Feet” (Sports Records)
16. Gusano “Asi” (Hardworksoftdrink)
17. El gusano, Nap “Pegale” (Unreleased)
18. El Gusano, La Momia “Carnada [Pa Pinchar]” (Self-Released)
19. El Gusano “Alberca” (Unreleased)
20. Mister Hands, John Patrick “Sarcoughagus” (Unreleased)
21. Bauzer Vep “Vu Vu Be Zon” (Assemblies of God)
22. Bauzer Vep “Bring the Bag” feat Quest (New Fair Deal)
23. Bauzer Vep, Pig DJ “Broken Nose” (Sports Records)
24. Bauzer Vep “Snapping Necks cashing Checks” feat. Quest (Sports Records)
25. Bauzer Vep “Tammy Tapeworm” (Sports Records)
26. Bauzer Vep “Unknown” (Unreleased)
27. La Decima Vittima “La Danza Macabra part 2” (Unreleased)
28. Bauzer Vep “The Gurner” (Assemblies of God)
29. Rental Snakes “Mom’s Dub” (Unreleased)
30. Glue boy, Nick León “Bang Gang” (Unreleased)
31. Glue Boy “Yeeeeeeeeeee” (Schematic Music Company)
32. Glue Boy “Junkie Research” (Schematic Music Company)
33. El Gusano, El Descaro “Singeta” (Unreleased)
34. Glue Boy “Whip It” (Schematic Music Company)
35. Bauzer Vep “Modern Dog” (Assemblies of God)
36. Sshades “Diskoteka” (Domesticated)
37. Rental Snakes “Harolds House” (Unreleased)
38. Bauzer Vep “Ode 2 tietchens” (Assemblies of God)
39. Señor Faxwater “Bgm Lodge” (Unreleased)
40. Señor Faxwater “Bath Time” (Unreleased)
41. Vuvu bezon, John Small “Man Feelings” (Open Space)
42. “Beachside” (BBC Sound Library)
43. Vuvu Bezon, Alodie Ayers “Pinocchio Beach” (Open Space)
44. “Cash register” (BBC Sound Library)
45. Santo and Johnny “Sleepwalk Midi Cover” (Unreleased)
46. “Beachside + Owl Hooting” (BBC Sound Library)